Woodside Warriors

This is the homepage for the Woodside Warriors Cricket Club based in Bingley, West Yorkshire, England. We have been playing 20 overs cricket now for over 30 years. The game we play is very similar to 20twenty cricket , the main difference being that in our version, all outfield players (other than the wicket keeper), have to bowl 2 overs each. Also, we don't play the LBW rule since our batsmen are crap and our umpires are usually senile.

Google

2.8.06

JOHN MORRIS 1949-2006



It is with great sadness that we have to announce the sudden death of John Morris last friday .
John was not only a great friend to many of us but also played the game with great skill and dignity.

The last memory I have of him was during the last game on Wednesday when, after an opposition player refused to walk on a number of occassions John gave himself out even when the opposing umpire refused to raise the finger. This speaks volumes for him.

I personally never saw John fall out with anyone. He always was quick to compliment others but rarely himself. I never heard him ask to bat or bowl in a particular order.
Never did I hear him put anybody down even when they might have deserved it.

John was the epitome of a good sportsman.

He was somebody I longed to emulate not only as a player but as a father. I often considered if I could still play like him in another 20 years, but when I said this to my own son he replied 'you'll be too old dad!'

What I admired about John the most was that, despite being extremely competitive on the football or cricket pitch, he never took any malice into the field of play.
A true gentleman who we will all miss .God bless you John, you will be forever in our thoughts.
Richard Kunz

Hard to believe you've gone, a true gent of the game, I'll miss you buddy.
Jim Stead

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home